Wednesday 21 November 2012

Up close and personal with a wild boar

Back in the summer I was driving the road from Isola Rossa to Aggius. It was about nine at night and my family were in the car having just enjoyed a lovely meal in a local pizzeria, when suddenly I heard a shout from the back seat and realised we were about to get up close and personal with a wild boar.
Amazingly I managed to swerve in time and the animal wandered off to die another day.
When I mentioned this to my friend Andrea in the bar half an hour later he told me that there are rules to abide by when you run over these creatures.
Apparently our porcine friends are a protected species there and if one is injured in a collision it is the driver's responsibility to make sure the swine is killed.
This has less to do with their 'protected' status and more to do with the fact that when a wild boar hits a car it causes a massive amount of damage, and in order to make a claim on the insurance you have to have prove that said damage was inflicted by a wild boar.
The only indisputable proof in the eyes of the law it seems is a corpse.

No comments: